Technical Accounting Lead on the IFRS 17 project is responsible for defining, managing and delivering the Technical Accounting aspects of the implementation of the new IFRS 17 accounting standard.
Responsible for clarification and interpretation of accounting policy and accounting standards requirements of IFRS17, providing technical accounting advice to the IFRS17 project team:
- Define and deliver on the approach for the technical accounting stream, including defining milestones and outputs and overall project management of the stream to ensure outcomes are delivered per plan.
- Work closely with the wider project team to ensure technical accounting lens is applied when financial systems and process changes are designed, tested and implemented in preparation for the new standard. This involves clarification and interpretation of accounting policy and accounting standards requirements.
- Technical sign off of requirements.
- Document design and decision points around methodology components for review and approval by senior finance stakeholders in Design Committee and Steering Committee. Produce IFRS17 technical papers and accounting policy documents for Design Committee and Steering Committee review and approval.
- Keep close to the developing interpretations, and considering preferences for the organisation, around the various aspects of the standards. This would include attendance to Industry sessions on IFRS17 and occasional ad-hoc meetings with the Big 4 accounting firms.
- Train Group Finance and Business Unit Finance teams on technical accounting issues and/or technical accounting updates in relation to IFRS17.
- CPA/MBA or equivalent qualification with 5 or more years relevant post qualification experience in financial accounting/reporting.
- A strong understanding of accounting principles and technical accounting standard requirements.
- Good understanding and interpretation of insurance company financial statements.
- Sound knowledge of financial control practices, processes and discipline.
- Ability to represent Group Finance effectively and influence and persuade other Finance teams and key stakeholders.
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills
- Active management of project deliverables and ability to execute to project deadlines
- Highly organised and details oriented
- Working effectively and cooperatively with others; establishing and maintaining good working relationships