Develops products by identifying potential products; conducting market research; generating product requirements; determining specifications, production timetables, pricing, and time-integrated plans for product introduction; developing marketing strategies.
Product Manager Job Duties:
- Determines customers' needs and desires by specifying the research needed to obtain market information.
- Recommends the nature and scope of present and future product lines by reviewing product specifications and requirements; appraising new product ideas and/or product or packaging changes.
- Assesses market competition by comparing the company's product to competitors' products.
- Provides source data for product line communications by defining product marketing communication objectives.
- Obtains product market share by working with sales director to develop product sales strategies.
- Assesses product market data by calling on customers with field salespeople and evaluating sales call results.
- Provides information for management by preparing short-term and long-term product sales forecasts and special reports and analyses; answering questions and requests.
- Facilitates inventory turnover and product availability by reviewing and adjusting inventory levels and production schedules.
- Brings new products to market by analyzing proposed product requirements and product development programs; preparing return-on-investment analyses; establishing time schedules with engineering and manufacturing.
- Introduces and markets new products by developing time-integrated plans with sales, advertising, and production.
- Determines product pricing by utilizing market research data; reviewing production and sales costs; anticipating volume; costing special and customized orders.
- Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
- Maintains product management staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Maintains product management staff job results by counseling and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Product Manager Skills and Qualifications:
Product Management, People Management, Understanding the Customer, Product Development, Requirements Analysis, Pricing, Planning, Competitive Analysis, Sales Planning, Inventory Control, Financial Planning and Strategy