As the Marine Cargo Underwriter, you will work within an established team within a market-leader of the Marine Cargo Underwriting line of business. You will achieve and maintain a profitable, well balanced and growing portfolio with allocated intermediaries and customers to assist in meeting long term trading objectives of the Company.
- Working within your Branch, occasionally visiting intermediaries/customers, undertaking end-to-end handling of straight forward cases for the allocated portfolio to deliver the agreed joint business development plans in line with the Company's overall trading strategy.
- Make effective on site decisions, within delegated authority, for intermediaries so that work is completed efficiently.
- Working with the Regional Manager and Underwriting team, develop strong relationships with intermediaries, balancing intermediary needs with the Company's trading objectives in a way that will deliver profitable and balanced trading growth.
- Plan and process own work in a way that will assist the team to meet its customer service targets including credit control targets.
- Working with the Regional Manager and Development Underwriter(s) assist in maintaining accurate records for intermediaries to allow effective communication and interrogation for Marketing Initiatives.
- Identify, define and close business opportunities, seeking the input of other members of staff where appropriate, to ensure that business proposals are dealt with swiftly and effectively, securing business for the Company.
- Act as a reference point on all issues for the intermediaries or less experienced staff members, so that a high level of customer service is delivered.
- Assist in maintaining a balanced and high quality portfolio, optimising the use of information gathered.
- Act as a mentor to the underwriting team to assist their career development.
- Undertake other duties as directed within the level of the job function.
- Good level of underwriting knowledge.
- Understanding of technical underwriting, philosophy and Company trading strategy.
- Ability to interpret and effectively use management information.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of the local insurance market.
- Dip CII or substantial progress towards is preferred.
- Internal relationships with other members of the team, the Claims Department, the Syndicate and the Directors.
- External relationships to be developed with a range of contacts within the allocated intermediaries and customers.