Purpose of the Role
The role will own the Data & BI transformation and renovation agenda, and lead the team through to becoming a stable state Data Function. Management responsibility will be for a small, talented team consisting diverse skillsets from DW developers, BI developers, to analysts with IT/Underwriting/Business skills, and comprising both permanent staff and project resources. Key working relationships will include Transformation PMO, as well as the key internal customers for data, which includes departments such as Underwriting, Finance, Operations, Client Management & Compliance. This is a high visibility role with key Senior Management stakeholders.
This role will be a great opportunity for a commercially minded, outcome oriented, forward looking, technology thinking, leader of people to make a significant impact on the Company's journey towards being a successful data-driven-insurance business.
Responsibilities of the Role
Team Leadership and Matrix Relationships
- Manage the permanent staff of the Data & BI team and from time to time any short term contract staff
- Help set the annual budget for Data Strategy and manage to budget
Data Integrity and Incoming Data Processes
- Embed insurance data integrity measures on incoming policy and premium data from external sources, encompassing the requirements gathered from Finance, Underwriting, Operations, Client Accounts Management, Compliance & Regulatory and other stakeholder departments
- Ensure the feedback loop to external Clients through designated Client Account Managers to achieve & strive for data integrity on a continuous basis; Assist the account teams with deep subject matter expertise in negotiating data standards & data quality
Single Store of Data - Ownership, Maintenance & Availability
- Establish conformity, scalability, performance and Quality of Service (QoS) of Insurance Data Repository, Data Warehouse, and Data Lake in conjunction with Technology, at the I&A and Group levels, driving efficiency of storage and databases availability for downstream dependant systems and reporting.
- Complete the timely rollout of the DW's coverage across the Insurance business - in line with Data Strategy and Transformation requirements
- Develop and maintain the I&A's Data Dictionary working collaboratively with Finance, Actuarial/Underwriting and other key users of Repository & Warehouse data
Rationalized Analysis & Reporting - usage and insight
- Consultatively develop a rationalized list of data sets used for analysis within different departments, and a reporting catalogue working closely with the user groups across stakeholder departments - removing duplication, streamlining timeliness and cost, and eliminating manual processing
Future Proofing, Business Growth and Continuous Change
- Stabilise the data processes relating to recently launched significant client portfolios, using the strategic approach to data flows. Maintain readiness for future business growth & upcoming client launches
- Prioritize and action opportunities for streamlining data processes, maximising reconciliation, and minimizing duplication of effort, on an on-going basis into the future.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
Insurance & General:
- Graduate or Advanced Degree in a Scientific or Quantitative subject
- Insurance Background in data oriented disciplines like Underwriting, Actuarial or Analytics, affinity personal lines experience preferred. Experience in Travel, Medical & Assistance Insurance sectors an added bonus.
- Knowledge & exposure to Insurance Claims, Policy & Financial systems and data. Experience with bordereaux data interchange / interfaces using established standards.
- Data Warehousing / implementation experience; Setup of a Data Quality framework, Creation of a Data Dictionary, and Standardisation of Data experience.
- Data Governance lead who has established Data Governance & Control frameworks for a wide set of diverse users
- Forward looking, out of the box thinking, solution finding mind-set
- Team leading, building, management & leadership skills; BI / Data function competency building in similar capacity. Up to 10 years of work experience - including significant team management/leadership exposure
- Client, Partner, and Senior Management engagement; Experience with regular reporting to various committees and senior key user groups. Experience of Publishing & managing communications to and behalf of the team.