Head of Application Development
I'm currently working with a leading Insurance company who is looking to hire a Head of Application Development reporting to the CIO. The company brought in a new CIO last year who has restructured and created this role as a result. You would have direct management responsibility for 8 staff and play a pivotal is defining the company's technology capability moving forward.
- Directs and drives the Application teams (internal and external) to deliver solutions that meet business requirements, are well architected, well documented and tested.
- Provides coaching, mentoring, and leadership to the team. Develop and grows the existing Application Developers, Solution Architects and Build/Release managers into a highly functioning, efficient, and effective team.
- Identifies priorities and deploys resources to best meet the project needs, taking responsibility for team deliverables, and assisting in the overall planning and implementation of the project portfolio.
- Determine and manage short- and long-term Application priorities, goals, results, and objectives. Work closely with the business to understand, define and prioritize business needs. In conjunction with Regional Heads of IT Business Engagement & Program Delivery and the BA/QA Manager, identifies need and justification for resources to continue to support business objectives.
- Responsible for managing 3rd party Application Development Managed Services providers aligned with area of application responsibility, project schedules, technical risks, problem solving, issues management and milestone tracking
- Provides vision and supports actions to ensure innovation and competitiveness in terms of products, services, technologies, processes, etc.
- Aligns Developers and Solution Architects with PMs, BAs and QA leads to ensure the business requirements are well understood before the development activities start.
- Lead Code Reviews with the solution architects.
- Manages the team within defined Application Development and Support budget.
- Support negotiation and administration of vendor, outsourcer, and consultant contracts and service agreements for all 3rd party development activities.
- Grow and develop individuals and the team, ensuring the attraction, development and retention of top talent.
- Ensures application development processes comply with all Regulatory Compliance obligations.
- Develop and maintain a detailed overall knowledge of their respective specific capabilities and functions, system architecture, and required technical infrastructure.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of operational IT services and delivery principles, using appropriate tools and methodologies
- 5 years+ business experience with a proven track record of successful support and delivery
- Significant experience in a decision rights on delivery model
- Understanding of latest market development and innovations within the Global Insurance sector
- Experience of working with or in a London Market Insurance, Reinsurance or Services organisation
Please apply now if you are interested in being considered for this position.