The Risk Developer will plan, design, develop, test, and debug modelling and portfolio management applications and services in support of underwriting, operations, and risk management; assist in the definition of and compliance with technical architectural standards on application and services development together with the IT department; and assist in the planning, monitoring, and validation of critical systems and data in the production environment. The Risk Developer will provide detailed breakdowns, analysis, explanations and information or data as and when required by various internal teams The Risk Developer is responsible for helping to improve the application development process and ensuring adherence to proper standards and process.
- Responsible for software development, testing and maintenance of the models within a catastrophe modelling application
- Experience of working with matrixes, arrays, and vectors, and understanding of dimensional matrix operations and manipulations
- Work with Project Managers, Business Analysts, and Risk Modellers to convert complex business requirements into technical designs
- Assisting in the planning and monitoring of critical modelling systems in the production environment
- .Net / Windows environment experience preferred
- Stochastic simulation experience
- Ability to understand and convey complex requirements into system design
- Ability to appreciate aggressive goals and exhibits a desire to win attitude
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail
- SQL experience
- Prior experience producing detailed numerical reporting for management and numerate colleagues
- Project management and the ability work with a highly technical team
- Participate and undertake applicable professional, technical and career development training (delivered internally and externally) to include attainment of associated qualifications where required.
- Ensure company, market and client related documentation is issued (internally and externally) accurately and on time where applicable.
- Operate as an effective team member by supporting colleagues and contributing in the delivery and achievement of overall team and business objectives.
- Liaise with relevant and associated areas and groups within the business process to establish, support and maintain business relationships and organizational effectiveness.
- Undertake any other duties of a similar nature that the company reasonably requests to be performed that are within the expertise and skills of the jobholder.
Education / Experience
- Numerate Bachelor's Degree (e.g. Mathematics, Physics, Engineering) or equivalent experience in Mathematics or Computer Science
- Preferably a minimum of 7 years application development; real experience developing production quality software
Skills (Minimum Requirements)
The following would be considered as advantages:
- Understanding of (re)insurance principles
- Prior experience working with AIR, RMS, Elements or EQE models, and other exposure to natural catastrophe hazard modelling.
- Experience developing in-house catastrophe accumulation management tools
- Proven track record working with and designing data- and computation-intensive systems, including using clusters or distributed computing.