This claims professional must have an extensive background in the insurance industry, which includes both primary and excess insurance claim handling experience. The ideal candidate will have a high level of technical claim handling ability with casualty claims for large and complex Fortune 1000 companies, particularly as it relates to liability lines of business, including construction defect and professional liability, as well as in-depth knowledge of insurance terms and concepts.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Oversee and manage a portfolio of P&C accounts which entails:
- Managing a portfolio of claims: Evaluating and assessing coverage, policy liability and establishing case reserves based upon assessed settlement value of claims;
- Consolidating data and preparing reports for key stakeholders and senior management;
- Approving financial transactions on claims within his/her authority;
- Collaborating and assisting in the account management of assigned accounts, often with other internal department responsibilities;
- Conducting claim audits and providing marketing support to underwriters;
- Analyzing loss and expense trends on loss portfolios and assisting in the development and implementation of plans to improve results;
- Working with, and independently of underwriting to develop and maintain key client relationships and manage the review of key accounts;
- Working effectively with others within the claims department, particularly with other claim experts and those staffing the claim administration unit, to ensure prompt turnaround and response to clients,
- Representing the business and the claims department internally and externally, including review meetings with brokers and/or policy holders on an as needed basis;
- Keeping abreast of the claim and industry developments/trends in order to maintain a high level of expertise;
- Coaching, mentoring and assisting in the training of ore junior claim staff
- Participating in projects as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Experience and Education
- 8+ years of excess casualty claims handling experience with a focus on managing a caseload of more complex liability losses, including construction defect and professional liability claims. The candidate will also need the ability to establish a network and relationships with clients, brokers, underwriting, and market communities.
- Superior claims knowledge and expertise. Acute focus on customer service. Exceptional team player while capable of operating independently. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to analyze data and information. At ease with presenting findings, ideas and other information in front of a group. Ability to marshal resources to achieve desired outcomes. Comfort level with technology.
- College degree
- Post-graduate degree and/or industry certification/designation a plus